Ages: Rising 11th and 12th Grade students – Moorestown Friends students only
Program Dates: July 8 – August 2 (dates are flexible)
Interested students should submit an application by Friday, February 22, 2019. The selection process is based on academic/co-curricular record and an interview.
Sample Daily Schedule:
Average workday (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
The Co-op Program is an educational immersion program that allows rising MFS seniors to receive career training from professionals and learn from hands-on company assignments. The idea to develop the program was originally researched and proposed to offer an enriching professional opportunity for students unlike any other in the independent school arena. Head of School Larry Van Meter’s vision was to partner with area businesses in South Jersey and Philadelphia willing to extend their resources and time to provide a collaborative learning environment for MFS students.
Unlike traditional summer internships, the Co-op Program offers students structured support to navigate through the working world, including: an introductory workplace etiquette workshop to review communication, dress, contemporary workplace issues, resume writing, interviewing skills, working within a team environment, professional writing, and understanding corporate culture; weekly reviews and feedback from company hosts and a co-op supervisor to gauge progress, engagement, and satisfaction; and a required concluding presentation for students to summarize their goals, insights, and achievements. In its pilot year in 2016, the Co-op Program was led jointly by Director of Auxiliary Programs Martha Cameron and Co-op Program Coordinator Charles Isdell.
Successful completion of the Co-op Program will appear on student transcripts. The program will be graded on a pass/fail basis. All students will also be required to compose a written closing reflection about their experience which will be coupled with the concluding oral presentation.
Past co-op experiences include:
• A competitive analysis project for BAYADA Home Health Care at their office in Philadelphia.
• Rotation through several functions of the Human Resources department, with a focus on recruitment, at Republic Bank headquarters in Philadelphia.
• Compilation of competitor models for Sales & Marketing HR department at Comcast Headquarters in Center City
• Legal and policy work for the non-profit organization Pinelands Preservation Alliance
• Evaluating the effectiveness of common financial theories like the 4% rule for retirees at Friedenthal Financial
Want to learn more?
110 E. Main Street ∙ Moorestown, NJ 08057
MFSscholars@mfriends.org ∙ (856) 914-4493